Sunday, March 9, 2014

Brussels Sprouts (Yeah, I know you're grossed out already!)

I recently volunteered to be a Bountiful Basket Site Coordinator in our area (man, it's a lot more work than you think!) But I have been loving it! It feels great to be involved with our community, and helping to provide families with fruits and vegetables to feed their families!

This week in our baskets we got Brussels sprouts. It was SO funny to hear the "you can have my brussel sprouts, if I can have this..." to those who exclaimed excitedly, "Yes! I love brussel sprouts!"
Believe me, there are a LOT of them who think they're gross...and I am one of them!

I asked some of the people that like Brussels sprouts how they prepare them (I am a firm believer it matters how you "try" it) most of them said they steam, boil, ect...the common ways. But I also had a few who said the best way is to saute them. Who would have thought to saute a Brussels sprout?! NOT ME!

They also gave some suggestions like adding garlic, butter, Parmesan cheese, bacon, onions, ect. I decided I was going to try experimenting with my Brussels sprouts to find a way to like them-not love them-but like them.

I am actually scarfing this down now as we speak (yes I am starving, but it's also really good..for a Brussels sprout!)

Here is what  I came up with! Be brave!! Try it!! It's really not that bad! I am NOT gagging it down, like I have other vegetables!


Brussels Sprout Saute:

Egg noodles-follow package directions (I did about 1 cup uncooked for myself)
onion, diced (I did 1/4 of a medium sized on)
brussels sprouts, washed, and sliced (I did 4 little ones)
ham, diced (ours was an actual ham we cooked a while ago, divided up, and froze)
1 tbs. olive oil
shake or two of salt
1 tsp garlic powder
shake or two of fresh ground pepper

I am not giving you exact amounts, because honestly, I have no idea, and I made it for myself, not for my whole family. So do what looks good to you!

*I learned that if you cook Brussels sprouts too long, they'll be really bitter, so cook your onions, and ham to get the favor going, then add the Brussels sprouts last to they get lightly sauteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment