Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sweet Potato Pancakes

I know this isn't anything new or magical, and I am sure you've all heard of or had Sweet Potato Pancakes before, but what you may not know is how easy they really can be to make! Plus it's a great way to sneek in some veggies that taste great! We (I), especially love this aspect of this yummy breakfast for my particular 2 year old eater! Anytime I can get her to eat fruits or vegetables without a fight, I am a happy mamma!

I like to buy sweet potatoes when they're on sale, or when I have produce coupons since they're more expensive.  I steam ours, puree it in my blender (adding some water because our blender is so....sad). I place them in ice cube tray(s), once frozen, I store in a freezer ziplock bag for easy use in the future.

We also make our own pancake mix. You can use store bought, it works just the same. On the morning we decide to make these pancakes, we whip out our pancake mix as directed (adding the liquid-water or milk until the end to make it the consistency we like) and add:
4 sweet potato cubes
1/2 cup of apple sauce
1 tsp of cinnamon (you can add more if you like)
1 tsp vanilla

...And Wha-la! You have tasty sweet potato pancakes! I've found they need to be cooked at a slightly lower temperature than regular pancakes, because the sweet potato makes it "thicker/more dense" and if cooked too high, the outside will burn and inside be gooey.

Here is our pancake mix we like best (I am working on making this healthier, or find a healthier mix-but I haven't found one we love yet!)

Classic Pancakes from Allrecipes.com          Makes 6-7 medium-large pancakes

1 c all purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbs sugar or honey
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup Silk pure almond milk or vanilla *regular milk/evaporated works just as well
2 Tbs canola oil
1 egg

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add milk, oil, and egg, mix until slightly smooth. Cook pancakes on a griddle over medium heat.

*I want to try it one day with oat flour, now that I have a mill, I can! I also want to try lowering the milk amount so that we can continue using this recipe in an emergency, and use less milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment