Monday, January 27, 2014

The Man Cave

When we first moved into our new home, my husband went scouting to find all the "nooks and crannies" of the place. He came across a little room (and I mean little) behind our water heater closet, under the stairs. It is literally big enough for him to lay down, and to sit up, but not able to stand. He came running up to me, "Come check this out!" So I went to see what all the excitement was about, and he begged and pleaded to turn it into his Man Cave. Considering there really isn't anywhere else for him to have a man cave, I said yes. He immediately thought up some plans of how he was going to decorate, and what accessories he needed to make it a home. First things first, an extension cord and a lamp. Then came some jimmy rigged bookshelves out of really sturdy cardboard boxes turned on its side (he is a bookworm)! Then came the bean bag chair that he got for Father's Day from me and our daughter. I wanted to get him some cute manly decorations to go in there. I kept seeing all of these "Man Cave" signs, but none of them seemed to really speak about my hubby! I decided I was going to make one so that it fit his personality.

This is what I came up with! I absolutely love it! I ended up giving it to him as a gift for Christmas. He was so excited to put it in his man cave! He even admitted, it wasn't too girly! YAY!


How to:

1. Print the Man Cave Rules printable on cardstock, or heavier paper so it doesn't tear
2. Buy a 11x14 (ish) plaque from any crafting store (mine is from Walmart for about $7.00)
3. Paint it your desired color
4. Use modge podge on the back of the paper, then place it on the wood plaque. Try to lay as flatly as possible, and get as much of the air bubbles out before you put the top coat on.
5. Top coat of modge podge to seal the paper. *if there are air bubbles, use a pin (I poked holes in the thick letters or objects (fleur de lis) to hide the holes a little better just in case), and reseal.
6 *Optional* I personally LOVE shoe polish. It is the easiest way to get distressed look! I use it for everything! I distressed my paper edges, but not the wood edges because my husband doesn't like the "antique" look and I didn't want to over do it and have him hate it!
7. Ta Da! Man Cave sign!

If you would like your free printable of the "Man Cave Rules" click here

No comments:

Post a Comment