Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Homemade Baby Wipes

This is by far one of the GREATEST gifts we ever received as a baby shower present when we were expecting baby #1. It has something that even my husband recommends giving to everyone we get invited to their baby showers. I don't know if any of my friends who I have given this as baby shower gifts have actually tried this recipe and love it as much as I do, but anyone who has babysat my child and used these wipes in her bag, have said, "Can I get this recipe?"

My husband loves the wipes because 1. It's cheap 2. They're big enough to cover his whole hand 3. They're so much stronger and more durable, and they hold a LOT more!

I love them because 1. They're cheap (like SOOO ridiculously cheap! I'll figure out the math for you) 2. They're really easy to make 3. I love saving money 4. They really are so much better than store bought! (My opinion is mine, but it's not changing, I hope you'll give them a try too!)

First you will need:

1 air tight container large enough to hold a paper towel roll cut in half (I have found success at Target and TJ Maxx)
1 bottle of baby lotion, baby oil, and baby wash (I was given a TON for our baby shower, and that's what we're still using, but Dollar Tree has them for $1.00, or if you're an avid couponer, you can score some great deals!)
1 non-serrated knife (we usually use a utility knife, but have found one in our kitchen that works better!)

Click Here for a Girl Recipe

Click Here for a Boy Recipe

*a variation I have seen done with this, is instead of using baby oil, some have used coconut oil. Obviously this will increase the price some, but it'll still be very cheap!*

Alright, I promised the math...So here it is!

  • About every 6 months Smith's has their 8 ct. Bounty paper towels on sale somewhere in the $4 range. Last time we bought some for $4.49 plus a P&G $0.25 off coupon= $4.24 for a package of 8 rolls. *Price match at Walmart if you don't have a Smith's near by!
  • $3.00 plus tax for all the 10 oz. lotion, oil, and wash from the dollar store ~$3.19
  • An one time purchase of an air tight container, the one we use at Target is $17.99
  • If you don't have one already- a utility knife, which you can get anywhere from $1.99-$25.99


Since you cut each roll (8) in half, there are 16 rolls with 44 sheets per roll. 16x44=704 wipes
You get 20 Tablespoons out of 10 ounces of the oil, wash, and lotion=20 times of making wipes. Since you use 1 TBSP of EACH mixture (x3) it costs $0.15 in the oil, lotion, and wash per diaper wipe mix.

**To keep math simple, we'll stick to 16 wipe mixes, since we have 16 rolls.**
$2.40 (for oil, wash, lotion-$0.15x16) + $4.24 (704 wipes) =$6.64/704 wipes =$.0094 per wipe!

*Now obviously, this is an approximate, because I don't know what all of your sales tax rates are, so I left that part out of the equation. I also didn't include the cost of the container, because it is a one time purchase, so the longer you make homemade wipes, the more you'll get your money back! With our tax prices, our total comes in at about $.01 per wipe.*

Let me know if you've tried this out, and how you like it!


No comments:

Post a Comment